Each year the CCFS-O selects one or more Ottawa teenagers to attend a Camp held in July at the invitation of the Shanghai Peoples’ Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries. (2014 program).
A committee comprised of members of the Canada-China Friendship Society of Ottawa make the final selection of participants. In 2014 the successful applicant was Coralie Ho Von, a student at Lycee Claudel in Ottawa. She prepared a report along with some photographs on her experience
The CCFS is grateful to Ling Xiang and other members of the Shanghai Friendship Group for the invitation and for organizing another successful camp. A short video about the 2013 Camp is available on this site under the 2013 Archives. See also this short video report about the 2014 camp on Shanghai TV.
This camp aims to promote exchange and friendship among teenagers from different countries. The camp provides full-time teachers to ensure the safety of campers and offer personal accident insurance for them as well. The Shanghai People’s Association covers the cost of the camp, board & lodging and local transportation in and around Shanghai for the program. Participants selected pay their own international air travel expenses including the cost of a visa and travel/medical insurance.
Eligible applicants must be:
- 16-18 years old (if under 18 parent’s permission is required)
- a resident of the National Capital Region or have close ties to it;
- a Canadian citizen
- willing to sign a statement releasing the Canada-China Friendship Society selection committee and the Canada-China Friendship Society of Ottawa from any liability for loss or injury incurred during the camp or related travel.
Applicants must submit:
- a completed application form
- a short statement (maximum 250 words) about why you would like to attend the camp
- two letters of reference, including one from a teacher or other instructor
- a photocopy of the identification page of your passport
- a written statement of medical fitness to travel from a physician